10 days to go!!
This is what the race looks like on paper (or rather on screen). It takes place in the Great Basin desert 2 hours north of Las Vegas.
- Starting elevation and low point of 4523ft. (Similar to Banff).
- High point of 5617ft - Coyote Summit at 12.8 miles.
- Calgary sits at 3428ft, so we are actually running at a higher altitude.
- In August the average high temp is 32°C (90°F) with an average low of 11°C (51°F).
- We will gain 1094ft or 333m in the first 12.8 miles.
Challenges - altitude, elevation gain in the first half of the race, midnight start, trying not to fall on face in the dark. (Running with the Mr is not a challenge, for some reason running together at night has gone extremely well - who knew!)
Awesome Race Reports
From 2 of my favourite people:
Lisa at Run Like A Coyote for 2012
Libby at Active Joe for 2013
I'm race-stalking Libby, first Kaua'i now ET - I blame her amazing race write ups.
This race is tougher than a marathon plus 9k due to its unique challenges. Finishing within 8 hour cutoff = Pharrell hat level happiness. I mean holy crap I'll be an ultramarathoner!
Ideally I would like to finish the race and have time for a few photos at the Little A'Le'Inn before the last bus leaves at 8:05 to go back to Vegas. Maybe even breakfast. Note: this could possibly just mean not finishing last!
'A' goal = finish + happy dance + purchase alien tat + photos + pancake > bus leaves for Vegas.
Keep moving forward all through the night